The Next Chapter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mission Statement

+9
Oldes
Salofen Ordon
Demor
Jon-Sohn
Jeraan Taruk
Weiss Reeno
Tius Euna
Kosse
Tyraan Sec
13 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mission Statement Empty Mission Statement

Post  Tyraan Sec Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:55 pm

IHC
Roughly four years ago Sate and I created our first roleplay guild - IHC (Imperial High Command) we were inexperienced roleplayers with more ambition than sense, despite this we had some moderate success and gained valued friends.
As time passed in IHC we learnt a great deal but also encountered many problems, things like starting from the top and working down rather than securing basic units and working up the chain of command.
Also during IHC we were heavily focused on Imperialism and had only one grand plan rather than separating the plan into smaller phases.
Eventually things inside IHC started to stagnate and this created tension between members and leaders, eventually IHC was disbanded and made way for a new era.

The Second Act
Around 10 months after the foundation of IHC we (along with some old friends from IHC) endeavoured to start anew, the idea was more vast than IHC and better planned.
We came up with using the war system to create a constant battle between rebels and Imperials as well as other SA rp mechanics (status unknown, combat manual, trade system, Id system and governmental rp).
But again with these successes came failures, some lessons were not learnt from the days of IHC. Communication was a huge issue, the core leaders were tight lipped about upcoming events and were perhaps too quick to ignore complaints.
Leadership was focused too heavily on ruthless expansion and not enough on securing a better environment for its members.
with all these pitfalls in mind we are still proud of what we achieved, we made a massive name for Farstar roleplay and made some very good friends.
Eventually though the fundamental flaws within the SA would bring everything we made come crashing down around us, things were said and done which should not of been on all sides of the arguments.
However in my opinion the fond memories of the SA far outweigh the bad ones.

The Next Chapter
After 2 years of the SA we come to today and hope to turn a new page or start a new chapter if you will.
with over 4 years experience we feel that our permanent departure would leave the state of Farstar roleplay to be lacking.
This is our reason for returning, but we cannot achieve this without our friends. I know that some will still be resentful for what has happened in the past, this is understandable however we do hope to rectify this by using lessons learnt from experience. Below is a vague list of what we aim to achieve in this new chapter.

Leadership;
The Next Chapter will have an interesting take on leadership, in its basic form the NC will be ran by two leaders (consuls) who will both have to be voted in after a fixed term has been finished.

What do Consuls do?
Consuls will make executive decisions based upon proposals received from the community.
• Consuls will need to both approve a notion in order for it to be carried.
• Should a motion be in dispute between the consuls it is passed to a community vote and the majority wins.
• If too many motions become disputed between serving Consuls then an instant re-election will be held as the Consuls will be deemed incompatible.

How does one become a Consul?
• Being an IC leader means you are exempt from a consular role.
• Consuls are voted in democratically to serve a 1 month term
• In order to ensure some stability certain people (to be discussed) will be forming a group of "prefects".
• During the elections community members will vote one prefect into consulship and one other member from the wider community, this will ensure some stability and longevity whilst also giving others an opportunity to lead.
• Members will be eligible to join the prefects however the criteria for this needs to be discussed.
• Prefects will also serve as mediators on the forums.

Purpose
Our roleplay objective will once again centre around the galactic civil war, most of this will need to be discussed once leadership has been decided.

Last edited by Tyraan Sec on Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tyraan Sec
Serving Honorable Consul

Back to top Go down

Mission Statement Empty Re: Mission Statement

Post  Kosse Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:41 pm

Tyraan Sec wrote: Leadership;
The Next Chapter will have an interesting take on leadership, in its basic form the NC will be ran by two leaders (consuls) who will both have to be voted in after a fixed term has been finished.

What do Consuls do?
Consuls will make executive decisions based upon proposals received from the community.
• Consuls will need to both approve a notion in order for it to be carried.
• Should a motion be in dispute between the consuls it is passed to a community vote and the majority wins.
• If too many motions become disputed between serving Consuls then an instant re-election will be held as the Consuls will be deemed incompatible.
• *Consul's will post a Evaluation of the Vote and state -CLEARLY- what the vote was in the end. This will mean the Consul will need to be Active IG and Forum wise..
How does one become a Consul?
• Being an IC leader means you are exempt from a consular role.
• Consuls are voted in democratically to serve a 1 month term
• In order to ensure some stability certain people (to be discussed) will be forming a group of "prefects".
• During the elections community members will vote one prefect into consulship and one other member from the wider community, this will ensure some stability and longevity whilst also giving others an opportunity to lead.
• Members will be eligible to join the prefects however the criteria for this needs to be discussed.
• Prefects will also serve as mediators on the forums.

This &...
/Endorse! &...
I like the Consul Idea...should work alot better than just having one leader.
*Added in something extra.

Last edited by Kosse on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : EDIT: Missed something out...)

Kosse

Back to top Go down

Post  Tius Euna Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:57 pm

Not sure I like the consul idea since I think it will create instability although you have proposed ways to try and combat it.
Tius Euna
Tius Euna

Back to top Go down

Post  Kosse Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:59 pm

After a second read through,
Maybe they should go longer than a month as it seems by the time we'd get them set up etc and recover from the last one, we'd be voting and taking it all down again...maybe 2/3 months? giving us still a variety, but not too much (so we'll have either - 2 months = 6 Consuls, 3 months = 4)

Kosse

Back to top Go down

Post  Weiss Reeno Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Tius Euna wrote:Not sure I like the consul idea since I think it will create instability although you have proposed ways to try and combat it.
This. Old leadership model was better. Dont need to make it more complicated.
Weiss Reeno
Weiss Reeno

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyraan Sec Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:02 pm

length of a term can be altered

Tyraan Sec
Serving Honorable Consul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeraan Taruk Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:10 pm

Taruk here.

I will voice my opinion on the new model. The old leadership model imho was not better, when to much power rests on one persons shoulders, it becomes stressful for that person. I know this from experience and it ultimately ended up in the failure of the one decent thing that we had in SWG.

In this proposed model, executive and decisive power rests with the consuls in a system that ensures equality amongst its the members, while providing the stability that decisive leadership needs.

This is basically a system to decide that no power rests souly with one person, meanwhile "power" does not rest in a council where it takes weeks to debate or is actually ruled by a dictator covertly.

Jeraan Taruk

https://thenextchapter.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post  Jon-Sohn Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:49 pm

I like the idea of consuls. I would but make 3 of them and for a bit longer term (2-3 months sound fine).

Longer term for the reasons that Kosse gave.

Why 3 consuls?

Well, first reason is: that way we could always have a clear voting result - this way or the other. If the majority of ppl is unhappy with voting results then they should think better about the next candidate for a consul, just like in democracy IRL - we choose our ruling politicians and have to bear with their doings until their term runs out. And sometimes some politicians show their real value after few votings, they have to earn their respect and learn how to rule and dumping them immediately after first 1-2 failures would waste an opportunity for a good leader.

Second reason is: I think we should reserve 1 consul position for an 'honorable consul' let's call it. I think this position should be always taken by either Tyraan or Sate? Why? Well because they started it all in the past and are starting it all over again and it would ensure them the feeling of being always able to have some impact on the community (but not the godlike impact as before). After IA-OR was disbanded but the SA still stood, Sate decided to leave when he realized he won't be the leader anymore and some ppl followed him because they all had the feeling that 'the creator was kicked out of his creation'. And in that moment the idea of a kind of council with Sate as a permanent member (but not leader) came to my mind - that way he could be honored as the creator and would not be the only all-powerful leader. So such a position of an 'honorable consul' would ensure he or Tyraan would never feel being out of the community they started, developed and started all over again.

So, my opinion in short: 3 consuls = 2 of them elected every 2 months + 1 honorable permanent (Sate or Tyraan in this position).
Jon-Sohn
Jon-Sohn
Serving Consul

Back to top Go down

Post  Demor Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 pm

I have perceived during the Second Act, the effects lone leadership can have on someone, which affected not only him, but also the faith of the community. Therefore I think a more shared form of leadership would be a good idea. So I like the idea. But like previous posts stated, it will probably have to be tweaked.

Demor
Serving Consul

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyraan Sec Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:03 pm

I think a 3rd consul is an interesting idea, but I feel that they should basically be a tie breaker - making a decision when the two consuls cannot agree.

This would take away the community vote which is both good and bad;

Makes the whole process quicker.

Less say for community.

Tyraan Sec
Serving Honorable Consul

Back to top Go down

Post  Salofen Ordon Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:09 pm

Hey all

It's all about the balance between a community decision and the speed of progress being made. Polls on every little thing slow things down, but there needs to be a general agreement to each decision. I think Consuls should be a good balance, spread responsibility and empower members. I think it's a good idea, at least worth a try, and I offer my support.

Salofen Ordon
Salofen Ordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyraan Sec Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:16 pm

Salofen Ordon wrote:Hey all

It's all about the balance between a community decision and the speed of progress being made. Polls on every little thing slow things down, but there needs to be a general agreement to each decision. I think Consuls should be a good balance, spread responsibility and empower members. I think it's a good idea, at least worth a try, and I offer my support.

Awesome Avatar

Tyraan Sec
Serving Honorable Consul

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldes Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:48 pm

Well..... Dont think we should split up leadership into several leaders, since i havent really seen anyone in SA or IHC who could really agree on anything. Also dont think you should have short terms as it makes the leadership powerless and our RP rules prone to constant change...

Oldes

Back to top Go down

Post  saiana Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Oldes wrote:Well..... Dont think we should split up leadership into several leaders, since i havent really seen anyone in SA or IHC who could really agree on anything. Also dont think you should have short terms as it makes the leadership powerless and our RP rules prone to constant change...

hard to argue with tbh....

altho I do wonder why either of you didn't choose to discuss different ideas and prospective ways to move forward on the other forum with the others that were trying...
I am a bit disappointed that I missed the meeting between tyraan, sate and vicktor the other night, it seemed to me that both sides were a little hostile, vicktor based I think on the stories and sate that had filtered down from the disoluution of the act previously, where as I can't quite put my finger on the others.

I've seen both "sides" have said they will be civil etc etc, but I fail to see why trying to spawn off and create 2 communities is better than trying to work together with the progress others have been making to create one larger more balanced RP commmunity...

but hey thats just my opinion of people working together in the spirit of co-operation to try and create a fun RP experience for all.
saiana
saiana

Back to top Go down

Post  Tyraan Sec Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:58 pm

saiana wrote:
Oldes wrote:Well..... Dont think we should split up leadership into several leaders, since i havent really seen anyone in SA or IHC who could really agree on anything. Also dont think you should have short terms as it makes the leadership powerless and our RP rules prone to constant change...

altho I do wonder why either of you didn't choose to discuss different ideas and prospective ways to move forward on the other forum with the others that were trying...
I am a bit disappointed that I missed the meeting between tyraan, sate and vicktor the other night, it seemed to me that both sides were a little hostile, vicktor based I think on the stories and sate that had filtered down from the disoluution of the act previously, where as I can't quite put my finger on the others.

I've seen both "sides" have said they will be civil etc etc, but I fail to see why trying to spawn off and create 2 communities is better than trying to work together with the progress others have been making to create one larger more balanced RP commmunity...

but hey thats just my opinion of people working together in the spirit of co-operation to try and create a fun RP experience for all.

We have all been banned from their forums, any hope of co-operation ended here.

Again we wish those guys well but they seem to be burning bridges.

Tyraan Sec
Serving Honorable Consul

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeraan Taruk Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:01 pm

Simple. There are others in that other community that were known in the act as trouble. Our older friends don't want to play with children with the maturity level of fungus. In the spirit of co-operation, we all got banned from there. So thats a no go isn't it.

There are those that are just incompatible regardless of how hard you try to push them together.

Jeraan Taruk

Back to top Go down

Post  saiana Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:04 pm

Tyraan Sec wrote:
saiana wrote:

We have all been banned from their forums, any hope of co-operation ended here.

Again we wish those guys well but they seem to be burning bridges.

hence why I wanted to be at the meeting, and why I tried talking with you afterwards...

but you have to admit your timing isn't well timed for the other community seeing as they were just working on new ideas etc to try and move forward, which you could have contributed to prior to being 'banned'.

I don't really understand why you and sate couldn't have posted ideas there too when they were being discussed.

but hey, each to their own, I just wanted to try and help build up a stable community that knew each other well...
so I guess I'll keep an eye on whats going on and judge from there?

Admin wrote:Simple. There are others in that other community that were known in the act as trouble. Our older friends don't want to play with children with the maturity level of fungus. In the spirit of co-operation, we all got banned from there. So thats a no go isn't it.

it's nice to see that the insults start quick tho... i am a little disappointed there tbh...
don't some people deserve a 2nd chance? like if they rage disbanded a guild cause they were in a mood?

I just wanted to have a nice fresh start to allow people a fresh slate... if they fuck it up this time they are out, if they can prove themselves then we'd all benifit
saiana
saiana

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldes Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:05 pm

So, lets drop the topic of community unification and just focus on how we want our new community to end up.
When we tried to unify communities in earlier projects it allways wound up with the leaders of each community fighting for control

Oldes

Back to top Go down

Post  Salofen Ordon Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:42 pm

I'm guessing "Vicktor" is Cash'Lu? I'm all for co-operating, but he doesn't want to, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If he changes his mind he'll contact us in his own good time, until then we have enough to worry about.
Salofen Ordon
Salofen Ordon

Back to top Go down

Post  saiana Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:01 am

Salofen Ordon wrote:I'm guessing "Vicktor" is Cash'Lu? I'm all for co-operating, but he doesn't want to, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If he changes his mind he'll contact us in his own good time, until then we have enough to worry about.

nope he's not, I think he knows Cash but thats about it.

think i'm snowed in today lol
saiana
saiana

Back to top Go down

Post  Salofen Ordon Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:24 am

YEAH SO AM I! Day OFF! Christmas Tree going up, Snowman being built and epic snowball fights YES YES YES!
Salofen Ordon
Salofen Ordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeraan Taruk Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:06 am

So does everyone agree with the new proposed leadership format? Or should we discuss further?

Jeraan Taruk

Back to top Go down

Post  Beli Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:24 am

saiana wrote:
Salofen Ordon wrote:I'm guessing "Vicktor" is Cash'Lu? I'm all for co-operating, but he doesn't want to, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. If he changes his mind he'll contact us in his own good time, until then we have enough to worry about.

nope he's not, I think he knows Cash but thats about it.

think i'm snowed in today lol

I thought Vicktor was firmus .. again ... lol

As to the "everybody deserves a second chance" thing, that's all well and good, but certain people who i will not sully these forums by mentioning their name twice have had second chances and third chances and fourth chances and more chances than they ever deserve, totally burning their bridges.

Last edited by Joral Varn on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Beli
Beli
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Beli Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:28 am

I think you should form a triumvirite for the consul positions to be honest.

If there's two people making decisions there will be unresolvable conflict because each has a vote and it will end in stalemate, then it will have to go to the comunity for a vote which means it will drag on for weeks and cause arguments.

If there's three people making decisions then there will always be a deciding vote, which means there will be no stalemates and no long drawn out voting process.

Add to that a system where the non-consul members can make requests/pass on ideas which the consusl can decide upon and you're set.
Beli
Beli
Lead Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeraan Taruk Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:09 am

So I think that is a resounding yes to three consuls Very Happy

Nice to see you beli btw Smile

Jeraan Taruk

Back to top Go down